Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Graffiti Blunder


When you practice something regularly, you improve. However, it's just as true that the more you do something, the more likely you are to slip up at some point or another. Lately I've been working a lot with the graffiti application for Facebook. I've really enjoyed discovering the nuances of the tools and figuring out it's strengths and weaknesses. It's a unique medium - like a digital mesh between acrylics and watercolors.

Tonight, however, as I was merrily drawing some delicious cookies, I happened to miss the top part of the drawing entirely. I must have scrolled down on the browser, or perhaps in the actual graffiti application. For some reason I didn't even notice that I had left the top portion of the drawing unfinished. Well, upon completing the task, I clicked on the "done" button and waited patiently for the final product to appear on the page. When I saw it pop up, with it's obvious scar, I didn't get mad... I just sighed with disappointment at the error I had made.

It's always really hard to see a blatant error like that when you think the finished product is so well made. There was a moment, before I realized my blunder, when that sense of deep satisfaction set in. Such satisfaction felt as warm and delicious as the cookies I had drawn looked. But then, in a small moment, that satisfaction was torn from my heart like a cookie from the small, eager hands of a child. I felt much as if I had just sculpted the Venus di Milo and then realized that her arms were missing. "Aye mama mia!!! Mi Venus di Milo hassa no armsos!" Yes. That's real Italian. Don't even reach for that translator.

Anyway, it's not a real big deal. It's just disappointing. I'll draw more graffiti and life will go on. After all, there are worse mistakes to be made, and if some messed up graffiti is the worse part of my day, I'd say I had a pretty good day.

And who knows... maybe there's some art dealer out there looking for an incomplete drawing of a cookie :)

-Barry

1 comment:

  1. Barry you are AMAZING at Graffiti! Seriously, it boggles my mind that anyone can draw that well using the computer! I love your drawings! You should do one of Pumba and Kiki sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete