Saturday, July 12, 2008

Horsetail Falls

With the weather as superb as it was today, I had to go hiking. And with a plethora of choices available to the nature-loving connoisseur, I chose Horsetail Falls. (By the way, by nature-loving I don't mean the tree-hugging, save the whale type. That's just not me. They can do their thing, but I'm not gonna stop eating chicken for them.... err... whatever.)

Horsetail Falls is nestled into the Wasatch, in that beautiful little corner valley above Alpine. It's probably one of the lesser known waterfalls of the Wasatch Front, but is easily one of the most beautiful. The hike takes about an hour, and the trail is generally littered with the dark, steaming droppings of our equine friends, but it's well worth it.

Remember, though, that you don't have to take my word for it (Cue the Reading Rainbow tune) I'll let the pictures do the talking. :)

That's where I was when I started.


Very big Dandelion... or something similar.


This butterfly was GREAT! It just sat there for the longest time with my lens literally inches from it!


Small streams like this one crossed the trail two or three times, providing some ICE cold relief from the heat.


Horsetail Falls


A view of the top plume of water from the side. That sucker was gushing.


Looking out, toward the valley from the base of the falls.


The area surrounding the falls is also quite lovely.


So is this guy.


Happy meadow.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Barry,

    This is Brie, your mom's friend Bridgette's daughter...right...so anyway, I loved the photography you did for your brothers wedding. My mom and I were discussing who was going to do mine and we thought we'd find out what you charge, etc. Shoot me an email gaia_sky@hotmail.com and we can discuss. :) p.s. Great hiking photos!

    ReplyDelete